Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thang Long - Westminster, CA

Original review written by Cindy P.
critical response by Pickypants

I understand the true meaning of "Meh. I've experience better" now.

>>> Excellent, can you explain what it means? I've experience at ping-pong better than others, but I don't understand your context.

I love Pho Thanh Long, so I assumed that just a couple of stores down Thanh Long Restaurant should have something to offer.

>>> Thank you for making me feel like a part of your world.

The decor is sooo cute and modern!

>>> That is sooo important!

What I did not love was the food. I looked at the menu, and of course they serve pho here too

>>> Of course they do.

in retrospect, I should have just ordered the pho and called it a night. Unfortunately, I didn't.

>>> Dramatic tension!

The menu contained bun (vermicelli noodles), com tam (broken rice), pho, yellow noodles, and some appetizers. With a menu like that, I wasn't sure what their specialty was,

>>> How could you? When a place serves com tam, all bets are off.

so I was just going to order a bun thit nuong (vermicelli noodles with bbq pork), but then I had a moment of brilliance thinking that it will be best to ask the waiter for his opinion.

>>> Sarcasm?

Me: So, what do you recommend? What is your special?
Waiter: The white paper menu.
Me: You mean the item that your restaurant specializes in is not in the main menu?
Waiter: The white menu has our specials.

>>> Oh no he did-hunt! Shit! Oh my fucking God! CHECKMATE THANG LONG! Everyone knows when you dine at a restaurant that serves bun thit nuong that you can't have a separate menu for specials! IDIOTS! I can't believe Cindy even took the time to chronicle this damning conversation, I would have run screaming.

Me: I'll take the Shakin' Beef.

>>> That will teach them.

But seriously, if a place can mess up their specialty food item then that makes me speechless because it speaks for itself.

>>> I also get speechless when menu items speak for themselves.

Needless to say, I was super disappointed with my Shakin' Beef, it was mushy, bland in flavor, and their red rice was dry. In order to actually consume it, I HAD to use their lemon dipping sauce.

>>> The horror. Maybe you can ask them not to give you dipping sauce next time. Oh who am I kidding, fuck this place!

Maybe it was because I was there an hour before closing, but it really is no excuse for bad food.

>>> I always say, never dine at a restaurant within one hour from closing. The food often gets defecated on as a kitchen ritual.

Just like the Saigon Restaurant that was here before Thang Long Restaurant, it can have my two stars! Seriously, "Meh. I've experienced better."

>>> Oh, I understand now what you meant at the beginning. The power you wield with your Yelp stars is staggering. I only hope you continue to use them wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment